IMPORTANT: If you need to surrender your animal please contact our Care Giving Department first to schedule a surrender appointment so we can be sure to have staff available.
City of Oshkosh Residents
We understand there are sometimes circumstances preventing you from being able to keep your pet and we are here to help. The Oshkosh Area Humane Society offers many resources and educational opportunities to help you maintain the valued bond you have with your animal companions.
When you bring your animal into Oshkosh Area Humane Society for surrender, he or she will receive a health and behavior assessment. The Oshkosh Area Humane Society is a lifesaving shelter, which means animals are not euthanized due to length of stay or space constraints. Euthanasia is considered a last resort and is only considered due to severe medical or behavioral challenges.
Information about surrender fees will be discussed over the phone when an owner calls to schedule an appointment. The cost of care and treatment for every animal during their stay at OAHS is approximately $240. Our surrender fees cover only a small fraction of that amount. Addition donations made at the time of surrender go toward the care and treatment of your animal while we help them find a new home. Those additional donations are greatly appreciated.
If you choose to surrender, please do the following:
• Make an appointment so we are better prepared for your animal's arrival. OAHS wants to make sure you are given the time and attention needed to document the important information you will be providing regarding your pet. Please call 920-424-2128. Please leave a message so we can contact you as soon as possible to set the appointment.
• Bringing in a pet without a surrender appointment may be subject to fees.
• If you have them, please bring your animal's medical records at the time of surrender.
• For your pet's well being, they should be current on vaccinations, including distemper, rabies and kennel cough for dogs.
• The legal owner must accompany the pet for surrender.
• Allow time (about 15-30 minutes per pet) when surrendering for paperwork, including the Pet Personality Profile
• Be sure to have your dog on a leash and/or your cat in a carrier when brought to OAHS.
Please make arrangements with OAHS if you're unable to afford making a donation towards your pet’s care. The cost of care and treatment for every animal during their stay at OAHS is approximately $240. Surrender donations go toward the care and treatment of your animal while we help them find a new home.
Out of Town Surrenders
If you need to surrender your cat and do not live in the city of Oshkosh or the Town of Algoma, as of April 4, 2014, out of town cat surrenders will be added to an out of town surrender waiting list. If you need to surrender your pet immediately, please contact your local humane society, animal shelter, or town constable to take in your pet. If you choose to bring your animal to OAHS please contact our Care Giving Department. Surrenders are done by appointment only. Please call the shelter and speak to the Care Giving Department to inquire about any fees due and appointment availability. Call 920.424.2128
There are some circumstances where animals may not be able to be placed for adoption.
• When animals show signs of extreme aggressive behavior during the administration of a nationally recognized behavior assessment. Please note some animals respond differently to strangers, especially in a new environment.
• When a veterinarian determines the animal's physical health greatly impairs their quality of life and their condition is not treatable or expected to improve.
We recommend you explore solutions to the problems you face with your animal prior to surrender. The Oshkosh Area Humane Society has many resources to help you keep your animal in your home. Just ask OAHS for help; we're here for you during this difficult time.